Section 1: Introduction
Purpose of the Plan
A Hazard Mitigation Plan is a blueprint for the future. It identifies hazards, assesses the losses associated with the hazards, and investigates the vulnerability of a town towards different hazards. Furthermore, a Hazard Mitigation Plan identifies alternatives for the future of the town to better prepare, minimize loss and educate the public of the hazards identified. The purpose of this plan is to fulfill local Hazard Mitigation Plan requirements. This plan will establish goals and objectives based on the identified hazards for the City of Beatrice and will select mitigation activities that are appropriate for the City. The ultimate goal is to build a sustainable community that can recover more quickly and sustain fewer losses when a natural or man-made disaster strikes.
The Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 (DMA 2000) was passed as a result of escalating disaster costs that were occurring in the United States. The Act challenges cities to prevent damage from a disaster before the disaster hits. The intent of DMA 2000 is to facilitate cooperation between state and local authorities across a broad spectrum of mitigation activities. The act emphasizes the importance of pre-disaster mitigation planning and promotes sustainability as a strategy for disaster resistance.
The Act requires that local governments, in order to receive federal disaster mitigation funds, have in place a mitigation plan that describes the process of identifying hazards, risks and vulnerabilities. Furthermore, the plan identifies and prioritizes mitigation actions and encourages the development of local mitigation and that it provides technical support for these efforts. Consistent with the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) planning process guidelines, the purpose of this plan is to accomplish the following objectives:
• Minimize the disruption to the City of Beatrice following a disaster.
• Put in place pre-identified actions that can be taken to reduce or eliminate future damage in order to make the disaster recovery process more efficient.
• Investigate, review and implement all possible activities to ensure all disaster related hazards are addressed by the most efficient and appropriate solution.
• Educate residents of Beatrice and nearby communities about potential hazards that pose a threat to the community.
• Fulfill planning requirements for future hazard mitigation project grants as described by DMA 2000.
• Facilitate development and implementation
Download the 2008 City of Beatrice, Nebraska Hazard Mitigation Plan 7.71MB
(requires Adobe Acrobat)